Beyond the Curriculum
At Shirley Heath, we pride ourselves with offering children the chance to deepen their learning above and beyond the requirements of the National Curriculum. Below are some examples of the opportunities children have to enhance their school experience:
- Whole school focus days – We regularly dedicate whole days to enhance children’s understanding and experiences of a range of important areas: Well-being day; World Book Day; Anti-bullying Week; Careers Week
- Volunteering - Children are invited to volunteer for a range of groups to enhance the lives of others within our school community: Play leaders, Guinea pig monitors Sports Leaders and School Council
- Whole school competitions – Children and their families are regularly given the opportunity to challenge themselves by entering a range of competitions: Black History month, Easter eggs characters, Shirley Heath Bake Off.
- Festivals– Children in all year groups have the opportunity to join other local schools to celebrate and compete at a range of festivals including Young Voices, Tri-golf, Cricket, indoor athletics, dance and cheerleading
- Projects – Children are regularly invited to complete projects at home to deepen their understanding of particular topics within school. They are encouraged to select their own area of research and choose their own methods to present their information.
- Assemblies – Every year, children perform in their own class or year group assembly sharing their learning with their friends and family, whilst learning a range of important performance and team work skills.
- Music - All children have the chance to learn a musical instrument within Year four’s ‘wider opportunities’ music lessons and through Solihull music service’s peripatetic teaching staff.
- After school clubs - We have many after school clubs where children can develop their skills from football and netball teams through to our very own Shirley Heath Rock Band.
- Day and Residential Activities - Each year, children from Year 4 and Year 6 have the opportunity to join their year group on a residential trip to Kingswood and Boreatton Park and enjoy a range of team building activities. Day trips are also organised to Umberslade Adventure to experience rope courses, zip wires and den building.